What is better? CentOS vs Ubuntu

What's worth to know?
Adam M.
Contact offline

What is better? CentOS vs Ubuntu

Post by Adam M. » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Which one distro is better for a server and why? What is the performance difference between Ubuntu based on Debian and CentOS derived from RHEL?

What is better to go with? CentOS vs Ubuntu?

Juraj Vysvader
Site Admin
Contact offline

CentOS vs Ubuntu

Post by Juraj Vysvader » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Both of these two Linux distributions and their versions are capable to outperform each other in different tasks.

In the past, CentOS was a better choice for LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), because was better optimized particularly for robust PHP templates and SQL databases. The main reason is that CentOS was better performing in disk transactions (read/wrote faster). However, we could be interested in some of the newer benchmarks, comparison of CentOS and Ubuntu performance. When I'd seen it at the first time... However, we can simply accept that the long-awaited release of CentOS 7 doesn't belong to the top, or make our own benchmarks. I'll be happy to see you being the motivated volunteer : )

Ubuntu can be a better option for shared web hostings, any cloud services providers, banks and govt institutions. Ubuntu is better for networking and wherever you need to provide a visualization (what's something common for OSes developed for desktop computers), some grafical UI such as e.g. cPanel. However, you don't need it.

What about a contrast of user interfaces, I can differentiate from the point of my own experiences, since I'm an user of both: CentOS and Ubuntu too. Firstly, I used to be a standard Linux user of Ubuntu Desktop for my personal activities and later have been working remotely on Ubuntu 14.4-16.04 LTS servers and CentOS 6-7. You could find a lot of people, which gave me and will give you the most frequent advise; "stick with Ubuntu, if you've already used to", however, almost everybody is working through terminal, which doesn't have anything together with the graphical user interface that you could see on desktop computer. If you've the access to your server merely via the command line, then it doesn't matter at all (because it doesn't provide any graphical interface). It's not such big jump between Red Hat's package manager, or Debian based package manager, while there's just few diferencies. The commands are pretty much almost the same. Within the comparison of their administration, CentOS and Ubuntu are very similar, however, rpm offers more comfortable work. If you're able to work on any one of Debian based OSes, RHEL, or CentOS, then it's just about a short moment till you'll become confidently working in the other environments. There's just a minimum of diferencies.

Adam M.
Contact offline

Clear Linux vs CentOS vs Ubuntu

Post by Adam M. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:38 pm

In a safety-conscious manner, I could take account of Clear Linux. Those benchmarks look impressively and Clear Linux seems to be a better choice than CentOS, or Ubuntu. I don't expect any issue of packages, if I can deploy Docker Containers.

Juraj Vysvader
Site Admin
Contact offline

Clear Linux vs CentOS vs Ubuntu server benchmarks

Post by Juraj Vysvader » Mon May 29, 2017 7:40 pm

Oh yea, there's just one small problem with the Clear Linux vs CentOS vs Ubuntu server benchmarks. All of the servers had been running on Intel's CPU. CentOS and Ubuntu perform better with AMD than Intel chipsets. The truth is that any Linux distro except Clear Linux isn't performing better with Intel CPU. Intel developed fantastic processors, but its made for Windows, not Linux. Windows performs better than Linux running on Intel chipsets. If you mightn't have any web hosting having server nodes powered by Intel CPU then I don't see any reason to install Clear Linux.