How much does it cost to make a website?

Startup & marketing talk
Andrew Jones
Contact offline

How much does it cost to make a website?

Post by Andrew Jones » Thu May 11, 2017 10:55 pm

How much does it cost to make a website? I mean an average cost of website design for a small business, hosting, maintains and anything else in total. I can watch anywhere and see a lot of ads of companies like Wix and others offering almost, or absolutely free websites and on the other hand, there are developers, which are charging thousands for one project. It seems that the developers are somehow polarized, divided between two exceedingly contrast price groups and I am not so sure why, or what are the thousands for. I can't really figure out how to estimate website development cost. What is an average cost of website design for a small business and what is it for? I want a website for my business and some small advise could be useful. How much does it cost to build a website for a small business?

Juraj Vysvader
Site Admin
Contact offline

Re: How much does it cost to make a website?

Post by Juraj Vysvader » Fri May 12, 2017 10:14 am

PM? Although, there's not such "contrastive" diversity of web dev costs. If you'll deal with a bigger agency, or just a random development company, then you shouldn't be surprised if they'll show up with some number in the range between 2000$-7000$, but if we analyse their expenses, it's not difficult to reckon it. We know what they're paying for their offices (in a city center), they've to pay VAT + Corporation Tax (1/3-1/2 of the money is for a government yet before when it's coming to personal income tax, so there's a double taxation), company owners want the biggest part for themselves, there're marketing and HR people, management paid vastly more than coders, some cleaners, technicians and others taking care of the offices, maybe some receptionist/secretary, or whoever, but we can roughly calculate it and think that merely some minority of the money is leaking to the developers, which are really doing something what you are willing to be paying for. Is it what you wanna pay for?

Somewhere between these two extremes are the contractors (freelancers) such like I'm, so it's not so much contrastive.

Is Wix doing it for free? It doesn't sounds like a business plan. They're deeply limiting bandwidth. Wix and similar auto-magic systems don't need to employ any human work power, if everything is done by a program. So why is somebody paying to others?
Well, there's over 100 million of websites powered by Wix and only 510 free designs (templates), so it's 196K websites per each design and if people from the same industry select exactly the same design (e.g. bricklayers don't select a design with cakes on the background), then, as well, there's a good chance that rather of them selects similar business names associated with their businesses (not only templates). Imagine how you're searching through Google for your company and on the top will be 196K websites with similar keywords in their names and looking exactly the same. It could be more, because some of the designs are nicer than others, so how much is it? 500K, or is there 1 million websites looking the same? If you'll need a special modification made accordingly to your rare needs by a coder (in this case, it must be done by a human), then it's gonna become very expensive. Finally, anyway, if you'll have to pay for any coding, thus what's the reason to choose just Wix?

Andrew Jones
Contact offline

How much does a website cost per month

Post by Andrew Jones » Sat May 13, 2017 8:42 pm

If I choose a freelance developer, then how much does a website cost per month? I would like to compare it with Wix. Still, I did not grasp the cons and pros. What if I do not look for any special design? Is it going to be cheaper? Yes, or not?

Juraj Vysvader
Site Admin
Contact offline

How much does a bandwidth cost per month

Post by Juraj Vysvader » Sun May 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Their hosting package offering unlimited bandwidth costs 10$ and 20$/mo, while you could get the same bandwidth from some other web host providers for 2-3$/mo. It's making 120$ and 240$/year, or 1200$ and 2400$ per 10 years without your own design, any extensions, or whatever else.

• Yes, in the short run.
  • Yes, if you don't need more than 500MB bandwidth per month. One picture from my camera has some size around 5MB, so if I would like to put 3 pictures on one page, then 500MB/me is enough for 1.1 visitor doing one page view per day. 5 (MB) x 3 (pictures) x 30 (days) x 1.1 (page view) = 495? Any graphics can be optimized and pictures reduced in the size. For example, you can reduce size of 5 MB picture down to 300 KB (or even less), if you know how to do it, but your website design (templates) and text have got some own seize and you've to count on bots crawling your your websites, i.e. Google, Bing, Yandex, Yahoo! and whoever else crawling (downloading) your websites cost you some money for transferred data too.
  • Yes, if You don't change your mind after when the page will be already created, or minimally paid.
  • Yes, if you don't mind their ads (you don't earn on the ads).